Walton — Complimenting a vast array of outdoor enthusiast and sportsmen-focused vendors at the Walton Chamber of Commerce, the inaugural All-Seasons Sportsmen’s Expo to be held on Saturday, May 5, from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Delaware County Fairgrounds in Walton, there will be a full day of free demonstrations, workshops, educational seminars and hands-on learning opportunities. Those include:
• FREE Fishing for All. NYS Department of Environmental Conservation is sponsoring a FREE day of fishing on the West Branch of the Delaware River at the Delaware County Fairgrounds. License requirements are waived and DEC staff will be on hand, with fishing tackle, to teach anglers of all ages how to fish.
• Creepy Crawlers, Stealthy Slitherers and Rascally Reptiles. SUNY Cobleskill Fisheries and Wildlife staff will have native reptiles and aquatic insects on display and talk about their habits and habitats as predator and prey and what their presence means to ecological health and balance.
• Casting 101. NYS Licensed Adventure Guide Brian Foster of Reel Catskills will give introductory hands-on fly fishing casting lessons throughout the day.
• All Tyed Up. NYS Licensed Adventure Guide Jeff Foster of Reel Catskills will give hands-on fly-tying demonstrations. Jeff will also discuss typical hatches on the Upper West Branch of the Delaware River and its tributaries.
Climate change effects
• Vital Signs: Climate Change and Global Warming. Delaware County Soil & Water Conservation District staff will discuss cyclical climate change, trends in global warming, what that means to the health and balance of the ecosystem and how it effects outdoor enthusiasts and sportsmen.
• Spanning a Lifetime. Industry experts will be on hand to talk about the lifespan of a deer and how to determine a deer’s age and health.
• Dirty Rock and Roll. Delaware County Soil and Water Conservation District staff will discuss weather event impacts, restoration projects and why dredging streams is no longer preferred as a means of flood prevention. Stream health and connectivity will be discussed using the West Branch of the Delaware River and its tributaries as examples.
• Catskill Critters: Foxes and Squirrels and Bears, Oh My! Walton resident and local author Leslie Sharpe will host a book signing, reading and discussion of The Quarry Fox and other critters of the Wild Catskills, published in 2017, based upon her observations from her secluded, hilltop homestead.
• KidFit – Wild, Whimsical, Wondering and Wandering. NYS Licensed Adventure Guide Lillian Browne of Catskills Unleashed will lead kids of all ages on an introductory nature hike where they will learn plant and tree identification and learn how to use their imaginations to immerse themselves in and connect with nature.
• Chasing Rainbows. Heralding from the Lake Ontario region, expert angler John Giovenco will provide a glimpse into the exciting and challenging world of steelhead trout and salmon fishing. Necessary tackle and equipment will be on display.
Admission is $5 for adults and anyone under aged 17 is admitted free. Vendor space available. Raffles and door prizes. For more information, sponsorship opportunities or to reserve vendor space visit All-Seasons Sportsmens Expo on Facebook, email email@example.com or call 607.761.2670.